

Sydney, Australia to Maxwell IOWA USA. July 1978.
RR1 MAXWELL IOWA 50161
Letter home 23/9/1978
Dear Everyone,
Thanks for your letter Mum (dated 15th Sep.)That one only took eight days to get here! I'm very sorry if I've been repeating things, I know how boring that can be. The other day I had a dream that I got back and everybody had changed… nobody knew me! It really gave me the creeps man! So far I’ve had letters from Jo, Wendy and Meagan…friend-wise that is.Today (being Saturday) I met Sonny, Barb’s brother. He is a bachelor and can spend all his money on really big and expensive farm equipment. Today we’re going to Sac City to see Steph and Kevin again and stay there for a little while (until tomorrow night). I understand it’s a really long drive. In a while I’ll be going up the road a bit to a different church which is Granma and Pa Caple’s church ‘cause it’s holding a fete of some kind. After that we’ll take off.
Thanks for your letter Mum (dated 15th Sep.)That one only took eight days to get here! I'm very sorry if I've been repeating things, I know how boring that can be. The other day I had a dream that I got back and everybody had changed… nobody knew me! It really gave me the creeps man! So far I’ve had letters from Jo, Wendy and Meagan…friend-wise that is.Today (being Saturday) I met Sonny, Barb’s brother. He is a bachelor and can spend all his money on really big and expensive farm equipment. Today we’re going to Sac City to see Steph and Kevin again and stay there for a little while (until tomorrow night). I understand it’s a really long drive. In a while I’ll be going up the road a bit to a different church which is Granma and Pa Caple’s church ‘cause it’s holding a fete of some kind. After that we’ll take off.
Thanks heaps for the badges Mum, I know if I wore them in Australia I would look like a real ‘space-case’ (which means a lot of space between the ears, but here it means so much more. Did I tell you about that orientation I’m going to on Sep 30? Well I’ve got to take a typical Aust. Meal for a pot-luck dinner. I’ve racked my brains and I think I’ve thought of something but it is too late for you to try and help me now. A letter telling me something good would take too long to get here. Please say soory for me to those
who have said anything about my not writing yet as there just doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day…I’m especially meaning Warren. I’ll try as hard as anything to write to you real soon.
who have said anything about my not writing yet as there just doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day…I’m especially meaning Warren. I’ll try as hard as anything to write to you real soon.
Well I’m really terribly sorry but this cannot be an extensive letter. It’s just a short not to let you know I got that letter and so sent you these photos I took as soon as I got here.
Lots of love from your long lost son.
Col
PS I’m getting on a lot better with Roxanne now – I’ve always been getting on with Bryce.PPS I really liked getting those little surprises in the mail ..please continue to surprise me!
View Sydney to Des Moines IA USA in a larger map



We have our little restaurants, and there's a beautiful beach that we go to in the summer and fall. We tend to have a lot of get-togethers, and if it's at my house, we order pizza because I can't cook. Flights to Cape Town
ReplyDelete